Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive Forensics Question

From: "Razi Shaban" <razishaban () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:25:26 +0400

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 7:00 AM, Murda Mcloud <murdamcloud () bigpond com>

I won't reply to the first part, as I feel that it doesn't really need
much more elaboration.

And why do you feel that random is better?

If it is actual files that are copied, they may be recovered.
Depending on the nature of those files, opinions could be made either
way. If it's random data, nothing can be retrieved and they are left
with nothing to work with. If they are accusing him of wrong-doing
that he is innocent of, he should leave them with as little as
possible to work with, in my opinion.

Maybe I should have asked, "Why do you feel that random is better than
something else eg 0's?"

I don't think it matters whether it's random or not-overwrite something and
it's overwritten. Which means it's unrecoverable. Some apps will overwrite
with random numbers. Eg DBAN
If someone sees a pattern in the hard drive after I do
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdax
because it's not random they would be right. It's not random. However, can
they see any files I had on there before? No.

Which is more likely to appear on a normal hard drive that has not
been tampered with or set up: Entire blocks of 0s, or random malformed
data?

--
Razi