Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive Forensics Question

From: "Mike Hale" <eyeronic.design () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:23:02 -0700

I think giving up your right to privacy is anything but beneficial.
The company has no business coming to him 6 months later and asking
for something like this.

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Razi Shaban <razishaban () gmail com> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 5:01 AM, Jon Gucinski <gucinski () gmail com> wrote:
Could it be definitively proved that he saved files from the external
drive to the hard drive?  Maybe.  They could search for files on the
laptop present on the USB drive.  I don't know of any logging in MacOS
or anything that would retain details of file transfer or direction.

Sounds like they are on a fishing expedition.  IANAL, but i'd
recommend to him that he NOT grant access to his personal laptop to a
former employer w/o a subpoena, warrant, or other court mandate.  Why
give them access when it can really do him no good but a world of
hurt?  The burden of proof is on the former employer to prove
wrongdoing and he'd be supplying them with ammunition to do so.

-Jon

However, disproving them (assuming that they cannot find anything)
would be nothing but beneficial for him.

--
Razi Shaban

--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0