Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard Drive Forensics Question

From: "Chris Barber" <cmbarber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:41:13 -0700

The use of thermite on old drives works quite well and makes for a
nice show as well...

http://hackaday.com/2008/09/16/how-to-thermite-based-hard-drive-anti-forensic-destruction/

Enjoy

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Ansgar Wiechers

On 2008-10-08 J. Oquendo wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
And that would do?
http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.co.uk/columbia-drive-recovery/

I don't think so. How was that disk wiped?

Wiped? That drive was recovered from the Space Shuttle that blew up.

Ah, sorry, I failed to understand what you were getting at. It was late.

Yes, a furnace heating the drive at least above the Curie temperature of
the drive's platters (and keep it at that temperature for some time)
would indeed do, AFAICS. An explosion is a very different situation,
because the destructive effects come primarily from volume expansion
(i.e. physical force) and to a much lesser extent from heat. Also the
objects are exposed to the heat only for a very short period of time,
meaning that the casing (or other physical barriers between platters and
the center of the explosion) will shield the platters from the heat,
thus reducing the thermal effects even more.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."