Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Blacklisting wireless access points...

From: "Mike Drugov" <DRUGOVM () nychhc org>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:09:32 -0400

You can disable wireless card from bios and set a password to the bios to be password protected.

If those cards are usb or PCMCIA you can set a policy to stop wireless service

"Babu.N" <babun () intoto com> 5/20/2008 4:03 AM >>>

Can't this be addressed by deploying NAC devices & installing NAC
agents in the laptops that you mentioned ? I'm not sure whether NAC
systems today support policy enforcement based on wifi enable/disable
configuration in hosts.

If you dont get any way to disable wifi-access from such laptops, you
may want to atleast make sure that such laptops (which may roam in
insecure environments like neighbor's access points) dont infect
other machines in your LAN by deploying a layer2/transparent UTM in
your switches.

- Babu