Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Blacklisting wireless access points...

From: rah.wollongong () yahoo com
Date: 15 May 2008 19:58:37 -0000

We have something similar on our new desktop systems, come with a built in wi-fi. Default handling policy for us is to
disable the wi-fi completely as we have not deployed and do not maintain a wireless AP, if this is your network and you
aren't currently running an AP then there is little need for a users company issued laptop to access wi-fi. If you are
dealing with a SOX based entity as I am, then most likely this is in your SOX outline somewhere and you must address it
somehow.

With our desktops our users have limited system rights. No one but admins have the admin keys to the castle even on
company issued laptops. I can't see a reason any user would need Admin privies.