Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Firewall Logging question?

From: "Dan Lynch" <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:39:10 -0700

Of course, it depends. :-)

I log "accept", for example, for administrative actions, such as a
remote desktop connection to a server. I don't log "accept" for normal
programmatic connections like between a web server and a SQL server.
Those are too numerous to be informative and only serve to take up log
space and add noise. I sometimes turn on logging for brief periods to
troubleshoot or validate a connection or a rule.

For me, the general rule is to log a connection if the entry will add
more information than noise.

Hope this helps.

- Dan

Dan Lynch, CISSP