Security Basics mailing list archives

Protecting USB hard drives that have backup data on them

From: "Scott Race" <srace () jdaarch com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:22:42 -0700

I have a few USB hard drives that I use for redundant backup purposes,
as a 'just in case'.  I like having the USB as it allows me to move them
around, though I realize they are not safe since they can be stolen much
easier.

Would full disk encryption be the best way to secure these?  I know I
could mount the drives internally, but would like to keep them USB and
just secure as best I can.

My goal is to make it so that if someone did steal the drives, the data
could not be removed.  I also want to make it easy for my backup
software (using RSYNC for Windows) to write to the drive.  Any advice is
appreciated. Thanks!

Scott Race
JD+A Networks