Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Protecting USB hard drives that have backup data on them

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 20 Mar 2008 13:27:50 -0000

If you don't leave these drives plugged in when not needed, you could just lock them in a safe.

I would also think TruCrypt on just the drive could work just fine. There should be plenty of hits when searching for
TrueCrypt + USB + [OS of choice]. For instance Windows:
http://www.dailycupoftech.com/using-a-truecrypt-volume/

<- snip ->
I have a few USB hard drives that I use for redundant backup purposes,
as a 'just in case'. I like having the USB as it allows me to move them
around, though I realize they are not safe since they can be stolen much
easier.

Would full disk encryption be the best way to secure these? I know I
could mount the drives internally, but would like to keep them USB and
just secure as best I can.

My goal is to make it so that if someone did steal the drives, the data
could not be removed. I also want to make it easy for my backup
software (using RSYNC for Windows) to write to the drive. Any advice is
appreciated. Thanks!

Scott Race