Security Basics mailing list archives

Protecting USB hard drives that have backup data on them

From: "Amar Kulo" <dzoner () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 08:27:16 +0100

Hi.

You can always have truecrypt on them with truecrypt images.

Maybe full disk encryption will work too.

Regards
Amar

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Scott Race <srace () jdaarch com> wrote:

I have a few USB hard drives that I use for redundant backup purposes,
as a 'just in case'.  I like having the USB as it allows me to move them
around, though I realize they are not safe since they can be stolen much
easier.

Would full disk encryption be the best way to secure these?  I know I
could mount the drives internally, but would like to keep them USB and
just secure as best I can.

My goal is to make it so that if someone did steal the drives, the data
could not be removed.  I also want to make it easy for my backup
software (using RSYNC for Windows) to write to the drive.  Any advice is
appreciated. Thanks!

Scott Race
JD+A Networks