Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Deny access to copy files

From: "Yahsodhan Deshpande" <yahsodhan.deshpande () nevisnetworks com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:54:32 -0700

I think we are missing the point here; the idea of VM was to create a
sand box for the developer. He will keep using his own environment;
browse the internet using his/her pc/laptop, but all the development
work will have to be done under the VM.

The VM is in control of the admin, and will have much better chance of
having the control within that environment, rather than restricting the
user from his normal activities.

I am not suggesting using VM as a security device, rather just limiting
the management overhead to each individual pc/laptop to a centrally
managed VM, with least effect on the end user in his normal activities.

As I already mentioned hardening the VM is a task in itself, but once
achieved is much more maintainable.

Regards,
Yashodhan