Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Deny access to copy files

From: "Fielder, Kevin (GE Money)" <Kevin.Fielder () ge com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 19:48:46 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce () securityfocus com [mailto:listbounce () securityfocus com] On Behalf Of Ahmed Khalid
Sent: 01 June 2008 19:20
To: focus-ms () securityfocus com
Cc: security-basics () lists securityfocus com
Subject: Deny access to copy files

I am working for a software house, they are developing a software product and their requirement is to restrict
programmers to take the code out of office premises due to company policy. I am trying to configure a windows based
machine which denies access to copy files to external storage devices connected to USB. There is an NTFS permission
"Read + Execute" I guess this could do the work but is there any other way to do it?

They also don't need programmers to take the code with them in their email.
I can restrict SMTP and POP ports but when it comes to web based emails I am clueless,  How can I restrict web based
emails like hotmail, gmail, yahoo there are so many of these and if I somehow manage to block all web based email sites
someone can write a script to send emails, if not a script HTTP tunneling would bypass any checks and bounds defined by
my proxy/gateway machine. How can I block such thing?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Ahmed Khalid