Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Deny access to copy files

From: "Kim Johnsson" <kimjohnsson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:55:37 +0200

I doubt it's possible. To keep them from physically bringing the code
with them, you'd have to disallow the use of any external storage
devices (this can probably be done with group policies), since they
could otherwise just copy the source to a text file saved on a USB
stick. Preventing them from digitally sending the source code over the
internet would be near-impossible (if not impossible). There are
simply too many different ways to do it (use webmail services, use
anonymous mail services, upload the plain text to a website, etc...).
The only way to prevent that is to scan every packet for the source
code contents, and that's just not practically feasible. Not to
meantion encrypted VPN, which would also have to be blocked somehow.
I'd say your best bet is to tell the programmers that bringing the
source code home is not acceptable, and make sure there are
appropriate consequences.