Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Security

From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:15:15 +0100

Well, the main reason that triggered my sending this question was
getting shocked at what I could see of other people just by browsing
"Network Neighborhood"! Some people have waaaaaay too much
visible/readable. Fortunately, my own two Laptops aren't permitting
any incomming connections, but that still doesn't protect me from any
dedicated hacker, or my data flow.
Anyway, I fly home this weekend so I'll setup an IPCop Firewall VPN at
home (http://thinkhole.org/wp/2006/03/28/ipcop-openvpn-howto/) - I've
been wanting to do that for sometime just to access my home network,
but now this makes the need even greater and more serious. Also means
I can access UK-only websites directly.
If it doesn't workout the way I want, then I'll just continue to use
Hot Spot Shield and just put up with their ads...

Thanks to all,
ys