Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Height of paranoia

From: "David J. Bianco" <david () vorant com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:33:28 -0400

You mentioned several preventative measures you either have already taken
or are considering taking.  That's great, but you didn't mention anything
about any type of security monitoring you might be doing.  When you say that
the information "seems to have leaked out", it implies that you don't really
know how it got out.  If that's the case, how can you possibly design
countermeasures?

My advice: before you implement any more preventative measures, make sure
you know what it is you're trying to prevent.  Consider setting up good
network and host based monitors, define the types and location of information
you're concerned about, then figure out how the information is getting out.
Only then can you really be certain your preventative controls will be
effective.

        David

WALI wrote:
It's a given that all workstations have XP firewall enabled, an
enterprise grade antivirus and Windows defender installed. I am the
security guy.

The need is that there are a couple top management executives that have
highly confidential data/emails residing on their desktops, and quite a
few times, the information seems to have leaked out.

Discounting the 'word of mouth' of their secretaries or the end
recipients of that information, I want to take as many precautions from
the IT security perspective as possible and even bring our domain admins
and helpdesk personnel into the realm of doubt.

We have a Windows 20003/exchange 2003 environment of about a 2000 users.
Here's what I have thought:

1. If I detach these executive PCs from the domain. Mails will stop
landing in MS Outlook. Is there a way around? Also DNS security doesn't
register any PC unless it's joined to a domain. I thought of this to
make it out of bounds by system/domain admins. I have a feeling that
their port 3389 gets accessed when they aren't around.

2. Alternatively, create a private vlan on the core switch and make
these PCs as it's members. Put an ACL and deny everything except ports
required to authenticate to AD and exchange and few other web
applications. Monitor port memberships regularly.

3. How to secure their emails from exchange admins (it's the height, I
know).

Pls advise!!