Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Height of paranoia

From: Adriel Desautels <adriel () netragard com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:09:33 -0400

Hi Wali,
         Throwing software and technology at the problem will usually just cost
you money but not actually *solve* the problem. You need to define the
problem clearly so that you can properly *tackle* all aspects of it.
        (If you want to take this off-line thats fine.)

        1-) Who were the end recipients of the information?
        2-) How was the information leaked?
            Just getting started...

        That said...

        I think that its generally a good idea to isolate computers based on
their sensitivity. Sensitivity is different for different companies, but
it sounds like your executive PC's should be classified as sensitive.
Putting them in an isolated, monitored and controlled network certainly
wouldn't hurt.

        I think its also a good idea to isolate, watermark and monitor the
information on disk and to protect that respective information. Maybe
encrypt it? If the information is encrypted and if the executives follow
a simple policy then it should be reasonably safe (I'd think). (you can
set IDS/IPS policies to detect certain kinds of watermarks to prevent
leakage.)

        Don't be fooled by XP firewalls and all that crap. Firewalls
(sometimes) only protect computers against inbound network attacks.
Don't forget about the more common browser based attacks, etc. If the
executive hits a malicious website hosting a nice 0day for something
he's using, its game over.

        Oh and to secure their emails (almost forgot). Consider not ever
sending emails out of the network. There are some solutions that send an
https link to the recipient via email. When the recipient clicks on the
link they are taken to a *secure* website to read the email. The email
never leaves the server and always stays on the *secure* system. Keep in
mind if that system gets cracked because it runs a very old version of
jboss then all the emails are done too.

        Hope this makes a little sense.

Regards,
        Adriel T. Desautels
        Chief Technology Officer
        Netragard, LLC.
        Office : 617-934-0269
        Mobile : 617-633-3821
        http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/118/a45

        Join the Netragard, LLC. Linked In Group:
        http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/48683/0B98E1705142

Netragard, LLC - http://www.netragard.com  -  "We make IT Safe"
Penetration Testing, Vulnerability Assessments, Website Security

Netragard Whitepaper Downloads:
-------------------------------
Choosing the right provider : http://tinyurl.com/2ahk3j
Three Things you must know  : http://tinyurl.com/26pjsn

WALI wrote:
It's a given that all workstations have XP firewall enabled, an
enterprise grade antivirus and Windows defender installed. I am the
security guy.

The need is that there are a couple top management executives that have
highly confidential data/emails residing on their desktops, and quite a
few times, the information seems to have leaked out.

Discounting the 'word of mouth' of their secretaries or the end
recipients of that information, I want to take as many precautions from
the IT security perspective as possible and even bring our domain admins
and helpdesk personnel into the realm of doubt.

We have a Windows 20003/exchange 2003 environment of about a 2000 users.
Here's what I have thought:

1. If I detach these executive PCs from the domain. Mails will stop
landing in MS Outlook. Is there a way around? Also DNS security doesn't
register any PC unless it's joined to a domain. I thought of this to
make it out of bounds by system/domain admins. I have a feeling that
their port 3389 gets accessed when they aren't around.

2. Alternatively, create a private vlan on the core switch and make
these PCs as it's members. Put an ACL and deny everything except ports
required to authenticate to AD and exchange and few other web
applications. Monitor port memberships regularly.

3. How to secure their emails from exchange admins (it's the height, I
know).

Pls advise!!