Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SIM questions.

From: "Andy Cuff (Talisker)" <SecurityLists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 06:45:37 +0100

Hi Ray,
There is some variation in the scope of what a SIM will achieve but
generally the SIM takes security feeds from a number of devices, it will
aggregate the information to reduce the quantity and correlate the
information with other sources to ascertain the likelihood of the resultant
security threat being genuine and not a false alarm. Running a vulnerability
scanner such as Nessus will allow the SIM to alter the severity based upon
the vulnerability of the target.

For instance if the SIM alerts that an IDS has detected an attack against a
webserver, the Nessus feed would allow it report on the likelihood of the
attack being successful, i.e. was the target vulnerable to the attack

This is fairly simplistic as the vulnerability feed can provide more

I suggest you read some of the vendor descriptions about what their SIM's
can achieve, I particularly liked the Tenable write up. We have a list of
the various SIM's here
http://www.networkintrusion.co.uk/index.php/component/mtree/Security-Managem
ent/Security-Information-Managers.html

I should point out that a SIM is not the security panacea people may have
you believe, they take an awful lot of work and tender loving care to keep
them working, a bit like an IDS. Though if you are willing to invest the
time they can pay dividends

Regards

Andy Cuff
Managing Director / CEO