Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Few interesting topics in Network Security please.

From: "Matt Lakin" <honswlos () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 23:17:41 +0000

I would definitely recommend installing and using Wireshark to get a good low level understanding of network traffic.
Have the class monitor the wire while sending/receiving different kinds of traffic (ICMP, SNMP, DNS, WINS, RPC, WWW,
ARP, SMTP, STP, EIGRP, etc) to see how different protocols look on the wire.  After some basic network analysis, have
them fire up Cain&Abel and do some password sniffing, ARP poisoning, etc, with Wireshark open.  Also show how ARP
poisoning can be used to sniff switched networks or for MITM attacks, and have them initiate a MITM attack to view an
encrypted SSL session (using fake certificates).

Nmap is a must also, and use a tool like Metasploit (via a livecd like BackTrack or Auditor) to illustrate how to use
the information gleaned from Nmap to exploit a remote (and vulnerable) machine.  This would also be a good time to show
students lists like Bugtraq to find exploitable vulnerabilities

If you're looking for more security tools to mess around with, sectools.org has a great list of a wide range of tools.