Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: advice on dissertation IT security

From: "Walt Foultz" <Walt.Foultz () oag state tx us>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:34:39 -0500

I am a little confused as to what you really are doing.  A dissertation
is normally described as a thesis that is defended in an oral
presentation to a dissertation committee at either the doctoral or
master’s level.  The information presented must meet generally
accepted levels of original research and work.  I am unaware of a
bachelor degree program that would require that level of effort.
None-the-less, if that is what you need, I recommend you enlist the
assistance of your university in reviewing other such academic works in
the security area.  Most university libraries have all dissertations on
CDs to review electronically. This must be accomplished anyway in the
course of ensuring duplication of research is not accidentally done by
the student.  It would also provide you with acceptable guidance in the
important areas of statistical analysis and data collection.
Additionally, the final chapter of a true dissertation is the writer’s
recommendations for follow on research and study by other researchers
and students.  All this is very useful in your efforts to produce the
needed information and thesis.  Best of luck.

Dr. Walt H. Foultz
CISO
Office of the Texas Attorney General

"Vandenberg, Robert" <rv2954 () att com> 9/10/2007 11:14 AM >>>
I would recommend your thoughts/analysis/etc. on how the security
industry can become more proactive and less reactive on protecting
against viruses, worms, bots. Etc.

Just the thoughts of someone who teaches Information Security at ITT
Tech.

Bob