Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:48:42 +0200

On 2007-09-11 William Holmberg wrote:
On 2007-09-01 gjgowey () tmo blackberry net wrote:
A since pass with all zero's really won't protect your data from
being recovered by more advanced data recovery software let alone
alone hardware.

I'd like to see a single case where someone was able to recover data
from an overwritten harddisk, even after a single pass with zeroes.

No doubt you are an intelligent and well educated person in these
fields, and probably have many areas of expertise more proficient than
mine. I do have to state however, and nearly any Infragard member can
tell you, the FBI uses tools that accomplish this on a regular basis.
I have no doubt other agencies do as well. We have had demonstrations
of it remotely in a class I help instruct, SAFE computing for Law
Enforcement and Non-Profits (SAFE is Security And Forensic Education)
at Metro State University of Minnesota, MCTC campus.

Demonstrations of recovering data from fully overwritten media, without
opening the case? Sorry, but I seriously doubt that. Feel free to prove
me wrong, but without evidence I find that really hard to believe. Keep
in mind we're not talking about wiping single files, but overwriting the
entire media.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."