Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: "William Holmberg" <wholmberg () amdpi com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:36:02 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce () securityfocus com [mailto:listbounce () securityfocus com]
On Behalf Of Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 1:03 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

On 2007-09-01 gjgowey () tmo blackberry net wrote:
A since pass with all zero's really won't protect your data from being
recovered by more advanced data recovery software let alone alone
hardware.

I'd like to see a single case where someone was able to recover data
from an overwritten harddisk, even after a single pass with zeroes.

*********************
Hi,
No doubt you are an intelligent and well educated person in these
fields, and probably have many areas of expertise more proficient than
mine. I do have to state however, and nearly any Infragard member can
tell you, the FBI uses tools that accomplish this on a regular basis. I
have no doubt other agencies do as well. We have had demonstrations of
it remotely in a class I help instruct, SAFE computing for Law
Enforcement and Non-Profits (SAFE is Security And Forensic Education) at
Metro State University of Minnesota, MCTC campus.

My .02...
-Bill