Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:07:29 +1000

Snake-oil BS and FUD.

Magnetic signatures are not time-stamped. There is no unerase
capability.

What people seem to think is that a digital write is a digital
operation. This is a fallacy. Drive writes are analogue. They have a
probabilistic output. It is unlikely that an individual write will be a
+1.00000 [1]. Rather - there is a set range. There is a normative
confidence interval that the bit will be in.

What this means is that there is generally a 95% likelihood that the +1
will exist in the range of (0.95, 1.05) there is then a 99% likelihood
that it will exist in the range (0.90, 1.10) for instance. This leaves a
negligible probability (1 bit in every 100,000 billion or so) that the
actual potential will be less than 60% of the full +1 value. This error
is the non-recoverable error rating of the drive for a single write.

As a result, there is no difference to the drive of a 0.90 or 1.10
factor of the magnetic potential. What this means is that due to
temperature fluctuations, humidity, etc the value will vary on EACH
write.

There is no way to determine if a 1.06 is due to a prior write or a
temperature fluctuation.

On top of this the issue of magnetic decay will come into play. This
further skews the results.

Snake oil is used to sell product. Do not just use product XXXX, buy may
patented wipe tech. All others are no good. Only XXXX will save you...

Unfortunately, urban legend and FUD seems to trump science as:
1       Too few people have any scientific training and
statistical/engineering knowledge
2       People are gullible and like a good story.

Try reading papers on sites such as the IEEE. Scientific papers (real
peer reviewed ones from respectable journals) have far more value than a
Wiki or a google search.

Regards,
Craig

[1] Using a factor of the drives magnetic density that relates to a +1
bit pattern for simplicity.

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.