Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: "Joel A. Folkerts" <jfolkert () hiwaay net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:53:29 -0500

Nothing should be left after running that command - in theory, the entire physical disk would be wiped with zeros.
Using publically available forensic software, nothing will be recoverable after running this command. To my knowledge,
the only possible exception would be a Host Protected Area (HPA)[1] which requires additional steps to detect and
adequately destroy.

I am not familiar with the OSX utility that you mentioned; however, one pass of zeros is sufficient. Many people
wrongly assume that using multiple wipes is somehow more secure against data recovery efforts.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_Protected_Area