Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: "Anshuman G" <anshu.pg () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:05:11 +0530

ah nice info.

I wanted to ask, has anyone had experience with
http://abaababa.ouvaton.org/wipe/ ?

I have even integrated this with Right click menu in gnome(nautilus)
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd10/anshu1234/wipe.png .

Regards,
Anshuman

On 8/31/07, Dereck Martin <dmartin () packetdrivers com> wrote:
Norton Used to have a disk wipe utility I think it is apart of ghost now.  It is DOD compliant.

http://wipe.sourceforge.net/ Peter Gutmann compliant (opensource)
http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/ Peter Gutmann compliant (opensource)

I however prefer the Peter Gutmann Disk Wiping Procedure.  DOD only recommends 3-7 passes for disk wiping compliance.
 Gutmann recommends 35 passes.

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/sec96/full_papers/gutmann/

I have read articles where trained professionals have been able to recovers bits of data after as many as 26 multiple
pattern wipes.  I'm sure the data was miniscule, but nonetheless recovered.

Some people do this manually with a linux boot disk and the dd commands by running a wipe of alternating between
zeros and random data.

#~> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
#~> dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda

But it takes a lot longer.