Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Full Disk Encryption, Digital Signatures and enterprise Data Analysis and Transactional Auditing (eDATA)

From: "Bob Beringer" <bob () eor us>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:12:01 -0400

Geoff,

Agreed, which is great for a point to point VPN'ish solution with extra processing power at the NIC level that IPSec
lacks in and of itself.

I took my response a bit further, in that with a 3Com'ish solution, a group of systems can still be infected and that
once infected can generate spoofed traffic that could be used to affect other systems (in normal cases).

Beyond that, would you ever only allow for a server or a series of clients to only connect with each other? And to not
have access to other systems that didn't have a special NIC in them? To gain the full benefit that you are talking
about, you almost wind up with a type of hermetically sealed network, and such things don't seem to provide the full
benefit that other interconnected networks provide.

Here is another thought, when 3Com'ish systems are to operate in an environment with external connections, it is
possible that they will become infected, once infected the crypto cert that you mentioned below would then correctly
authenticate the systems amongst themselves, but would not prevent the spread of the traffic that is less than
legitimate.  The basic thought being, what is the actual benefit of assured communications that can themselves be
compromised?

One of the things that would be cool, is a concept that some friends of mine have, that extends from the former
Authenticated Execution Methodologies and that would extend the NIC Cert, to a Processor Cert, that would then allow
only applications and solutions that have appropriate cert's and then you could enforce the chain of custody for all
communications and gain benefit from the offloaded crypto processing.

Until such a thing happens that works on enforcing the legitimacy of comms that are put onto the network stack from
inside of each host, then we have to look at ways of discriminating against the traffic and developing methods to
isolate known good traffic from traffic that is not known to be generated by legitimate processes.

I hope this makes sense and I am glad that you have mentioned some good technologies that can definitely benefit folks
on list...

v/r
Bob