Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Consulting Question

From: "Laundrup, Jens" <Jens.Laundrup () METROKC GOV>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 15:46:57 -0700

Common courtesy is to contact the company that wrote the software
package and give them an opportunity to fix it before you announce it to
the world.  Let them know that you are doing just so and to please
credit you with the discovery.

As far as your management, I would write it up in an e-mail to the IT
manager and the security manager (and cc you supervisor) with the offer
to help fix the problem.  This way there is no denying that you
discovered it and you acted in the best interest of the company.  They
may worry about the vulnerability broadcast on e-mail but you need to
CYA in case they have any thoughts of "blamescaping".  If you can
encrypt it, even better.  But what ever you do, keep a copy.

Good job on finding it and great job of trying to do the right thing!

Jens