Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Consulting Question

From: Stephen Thornber <skthornber () mac com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:20:01 +0100

Is it a crime if it is done with out 'Mens Rea' ?

I mean in a UK legal context: "guilty state of mind".

Because if you have 'found something to be amiss' with a site as part of normal browsing then there can be no Mens Rea and if you found something without knowing it to be a crime again there is no Mens Rea.

Alternatively of course not knowing the law and what you can and can't do in this day and age is more often considered as being no excuse..... I do not agree but then I disagree about a lot of things.

Intention - did you intend to do it? Did you intend to do it well knowing it to be wrong? did you intend to do it for good, if misguided, reasons

etc etc.

Stephen Thornber
MRSH, MBCS, CISM, CISSP