Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Consulting Question

From: "Simmons, James" <jsimmons () eds com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:54:42 -0500

I wont mention about how what you said was wrong since others have
already commented. But for your disclosure I would suggest 3com's Zero
Day Initiative, if in fact what you found was a zero day.
http://www.zerodayinitiative.com/
If you found an existing exploit with their site, then I would be very
careful in how you approach this. It really depends on how you found it
(i.e.. some google hacking). Or were you illegally scanning this
companies systems? If it was a google hack, then an argument can be made
that it is public knowledge and thus you COULD be shielded from legal
action. (Of course this is theoretical, as the company can sue you just
because ... See MPAA and RIAA lawsuits for references.)
Personally, I really wouldn't mention it to the company (unless you are
proof positive of your legal standing), and just solicit them for your
services like a professional.

Regards,

Simmons