Security Basics mailing list archives

Re[2]: security not a big priority?

From: Adam Pal <pal_adam () gmx net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:58:27 +0100

Hello

I dont think that we should blame the management for such problems.
Just consider the fact, that they have a completely different
education from the IT staff, and also during the IT-boom in the years
before, the depratment often requested new 'toys' which need to be
payed, even if not, the IT department costs more than other usual
departments because of the technology.
Most managers cannot see the use of the money they spend on the
department, in the heads of many there still exists the idea 'if i put
money in, there must come money out', so they cannot understand that
what we do, is to protect them and the company from loosing money.
I personaly, would filter the information you can gather and put
effort into present it in an appropiate language, means in terms of
moeny and numbers.
I think that is a point where much more effort can be put in: to
standardize procedures of IT in order to make those understanable to
the management (i think risk analysis is close to that aim).
To put it in simple words : the IT needs the management (money)
in order to exist, and the management neeeds itself the IT in order to exist.

--
Best regards,
 Adam Pal

<==============Original message text===============