Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: security not a big priority?

From: "Francois Yang" <francois.y () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:52:06 -0600

Thanks everyone for all your replies.
I think I'm going to stick it out for a bit to see if things changes.
the replies gave me some ideas on how I can improve my methods of
convincing my manager.
Again thanks everyone.

On 2/15/07, Hesham Sabry <hesh84 () hotmail com> wrote:
My recommendation is to obtain a copy of the latest CSI/FBI computer crime
and security survey. It is available for free on the internet. Can't
remember the site right now. You will find very interesting statistics that
you can present to your boss in order to point out how important security
is. It contains a wide variety of information from the types of attacks to
the amount of money lost to the source of attacks, etc...

>From: "Francois Yang" <francois.y () gmail com>
>To: security-basics () securityfocus com
>Subject: security not a big priority?
>Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:32:54 -0600
>
>So I have a problem and like to know what you guys think.
>I'm a Security Analyst at an Education institute. A community college
>to be more precise.
>So I was brought on board to address security issues and work on
>making this place a better place.  Now the problem is.
>1. I'm in the network operation team.  no security group.
>2. My boss doesn't seem to know much about security.
>3. My boss doesn't seem to think highly of security since all my
>projects seems to be of low priority.
>4. I have a long list of things that needs to be done and they are all
>waiting for the engineers to work on it. But again they have better
>things to do.
>So what am I suppose to do? look for another job? :)
>anyone run into this problem before?
>I'm at the point where I'm not sure what to do.
>

>Thanks.
>

>--
>If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you
>don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology.
>Bruce Schneier

FREE online classifieds from Windows Live Expo – buy and sell with people
you know
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com?s_cid=Hotmail_tagline_12/06