Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: security not a big priority?

From: Josh Miller <joshua () itsecureadmin com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 07:49:24 -0800

This must be your first security job, right?  ;-)

All joking aside, this is very common, especially in government jobs, based on my experience. It's a tough road to ride down and I recommend documenting all of your efforts for future reference and being as supportive as possible while not creating a problem between you and the people you work with.

Good luck.

Thanks,
Josh Miller, RHCE

Francois Yang wrote:
So I have a problem and like to know what you guys think.
I'm a Security Analyst at an Education institute. A community college
to be more precise.
So I was brought on board to address security issues and work on
making this place a better place.  Now the problem is.
1. I'm in the network operation team.  no security group.
2. My boss doesn't seem to know much about security.
3. My boss doesn't seem to think highly of security since all my
projects seems to be of low priority.
4. I have a long list of things that needs to be done and they are all
waiting for the engineers to work on it. But again they have better
things to do.
So what am I suppose to do? look for another job? :)
anyone run into this problem before?
I'm at the point where I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks.