Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: Daniel Miessler <daniel () dmiessler com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:42:23 -0400

On Apr 17, 2007, at 12:28 PM, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:

So if I'm scanning a class B for port 22 in order to unleash a
zero-day exploit, how do you propose I differentiate between the dead
network space (i.e. there's nothing there) vs. the systems that just
SEEM to not be there because I get no response?

You differentiate by the fact that for the former you *do* get a
response (destination-unreachable), whereas for the latter you don't.

Please read up on how TCP/IP actually works.

Yes, we're aware of the basics here, and now I ask that you scan a class B and see if for every system that's NOT there you get back an ICMP message like you're supposed to. I think you'll find that reality doesn't correlate well with the RFC on this matter.

Getting back proper ICMP responses from "somewhere upstream" is hit and miss, and therefore unreliable as a true indicator of a "hiding system".

--
Daniel Miessler
E: daniel () dmiessler com