Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 05:13:35 +1000

From Wiki:
security through obscurity (sometimes security by obscurity) is a controversial principle in security engineering,
which attempts to use secrecy (of design, implementation, etc.) to provide security. A system relying on security
through obscurity may have theoretical or actual security vulnerabilities, but its owners or designers believe that the
flaws are not known, and that attackers are unlikely to find them.

Costas Tavernarakis
Security Through Obscurity (STO) is the belief that a system of any sort can be secure so long as nobody outside of its
implementation group is allowed to find out anything about its internal mechanisms. Hiding account passwords in binary
files or scripts with the presumption that "nobody will ever find it" is a prime case of STO.

Jay Beale, Lead Developer, Bastille Linux Project has a definition, Schiener defines it and  Kerckhoffs' doctrine -
1883 all define it.

Passwords have their issues - but they are not a obscurity factor.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO Box 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.