Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:34:54 +1000

Hi Daniel,
I admit that I missed some of the posts initially concerning port
knocking etc and thus I did not consider this in my initial response.

Port knocking has the issue that it is not completely silent as is
presumed. Most routers are not set to stop sending ICMP, TCP etc
internet standards. As such, information on ports is often available
from the network infrastructure. Drop on firewalls does not stop an
attacker finding what ports are running - it just means that they have
to be a little more creative.

Systems that ONLY drop packets stand out. They are not "stealthy" but
rather the hole they make makes them extrememly visible.

In port knocking the control is not highly effective, to take a quote:

In 'Critique of Port Knocking', Arvind Narayana states:
"Suppose you decide on a list of 32 valid ports (the current
implementation
allows up to 256). How long does the port knock sequence
need to be? You might think that since each port is a 16-bit integer,
you need 8 knocks, so that you get 8*16 bits or 128 bits of security
(virtually unbreakable). But since each port has only 32 possible
values (5 bits), what you actually get is only 8*5=40 bits of security
(trivially breakable)!"

Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier:
"If I take a letter, lock it in a safe, hide the safe somewhere in New
York, then tell you to read the letter, that's not security. Thats
obscurity. On the other hand, if I take a letter and lock it in a
safe, and then give you the safe along with the design specifications
of the safe and a hundred identical safes with their combinations
so that you and the worlds best safecrackers can study the locking
mechanism - and you still can't open the safe and read the letter -
thats security."

Regards,
Craig

Narayanan A. (2004) 'A Critique of Port Knocking'. Newsforge, August
2004.
Viewable from:
http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/08/02/1954253.shtml

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO Box 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.