Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: Daniel Miessler <daniel () dmiessler com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:38:21 -0400

On Apr 12, 2007, at 2:34 AM, Craig Wright wrote:

Port knocking has the issue that it is not completely silent as is
presumed. Most routers are not set to stop sending ICMP, TCP etc
internet standards. As such, information on ports is often available
from the network infrastructure. Drop on firewalls does not stop an
attacker finding what ports are running - it just means that they have
to be a little more creative.

More creative? Ok, let's try it this way:

1. You send me a SYN to a given port
2.  I send you an RST/ACK for that port (or I don't answer at all)

Either way, what now? So what if you can ping the firewall? We're talking about ACLs here. An ACL saying traffic gets dropped or rejected to port X. So unless you have some revolutionary way to simply bypass firewall ACLs, you're basking in the darkness of futility here, my friend.

Systems that ONLY drop packets stand out. They are not "stealthy" but
rather the hole they make makes them extrememly visible.

Huh ?!?

Kind of like the hole caused by systems that aren't online? LOL. So I guess all those systems that don't exist are being put on a master hacker list somewhere to be investigated later? Dude, you're frightening me.

In port knocking the control is not highly effective, to take a quote:

In 'Critique of Port Knocking', Arvind Narayana states:
"Suppose you decide on a list of 32 valid ports (the current
implementation
allows up to 256). How long does the port knock sequence
need to be? You might think that since each port is a 16-bit integer,
you need 8 knocks, so that you get 8*16 bits or 128 bits of security
(virtually unbreakable). But since each port has only 32 possible
values (5 bits), what you actually get is only 8*5=40 bits of security
(trivially breakable)!"

Portknocking isn't the point; I mentioned SPA as another alternative, as the technology doesn't mater much. The point is that adding obscurity ON TOP of solid security doesn't *diminish* said security. That's all. Simple point. Nothing fancy. Basic stuff.

(or at least I thought so)

Applied Cryptography by Bruce Schneier:
"If I take a letter, lock it in a safe, hide the safe somewhere in New
York, then tell you to read the letter, that's not security. Thats
obscurity. On the other hand, if I take a letter and lock it in a
safe, and then give you the safe along with the design specifications
of the safe and a hundred identical safes with their combinations
so that you and the worlds best safecrackers can study the locking
mechanism - and you still can't open the safe and read the letter -
thats security."

Interesting, well what if you let people crack on our "safe" all day long (e.g. your SSH or VPN software) through OTHER PEOPLE'S SYSTEMS, but you tuck YOURS behind a firewall that only your users can get through?

So in other words, you get the benefit of scrutiny by using well- tested systems, but you don't have the downside of wide-open exposure. Surely with all your education and credentials you can see that this is a positive thing.

If I'm wrong here please show me how...

--
Daniel Miessler
E: daniel () dmiessler com