Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 05:20:24 +1000

Hi Daniel,
As I have stated, I could (and have) quoted names that allign with my view (Vosh, Schiener, etc), but this remains
conjecture without proof.

Noise and attacks are not neccessarily related. Security is a Survival function and as such related to reliability
engineering (like it or not). If we now take an example, a vendor comes out with a new product and claim, do we believe
them or do we test it's claim? I am of the latter. I do not believe the claim pior to testing and have found few
vendors that meet the claims they make.

So where is the proof that changing ports adds security. I have sent and gathered much evidence - but other than
oppinion have recieved nothing that proves any gain from obscurity.

So where is the proof that demonstrably shows that changing a port makes a service more secure? I can show examples
that disprove this, but I can not categorically disprove the negative for all cases. So I am going to rely on
scientific and engineering principles and wait to see if anyone can give some evidence that there is any net gain.

Many common beliefs are not correct in either general life or in Information Security. Some of these prevail against
the evidence, but I prefer truth through scientific reasoning. So if this is the case, please show me some quantified
evidence. It should be available if it exists - elsewise there is a good experiment and paper for somebody on the list.

Regards,
Craig

Sample of papers etc again:

Secrecy, Security, and Obscurity B Schneier (May 15, 2002)

Security Engineering, A Guide to Building Dependable Distributed Systems - p310+ by Ross J Anderson

An Approach for Certifying Security in Software Components Anup K, Ghosh & Gary McGraw

B Schneier "Cryptography, security and the future Communications of the ACM, January 1997

J Voas and K Miller "Predicting softwares minimum time to hazard and mean time to hazard for rare input events In Proc
of the Int Symp on Software Reliability Eng

J Voas C Michael and K Miller "Condently assessing a zero probability of software failure High Integrity Systems Journal

Why cryptosystems fail - RJ Anderson

Large scientific databases - R Williams, P Messina, F Gagliardi, J Darlington, ... - Joint EU-US Workshop, Annapolis,
USA, September, 1999

The Hidden Cost of Ubiquity: Globalisation and Terrorism B Krug, P Reinmoeller - 2003 - dspace.ubib.eur.nl

PK Algorithms, T Cryptology, C Editors, JE Cordant (emeraldinsight.com)

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO Box 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.