Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: newbie question

From: "Matt Davis" <stackinjection () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:23:02 -0500

You need encryption whose key is not transmitted in MITM-vulnerable or
reverse-engineerable form, much like PGP. It would be best that any email you get be
transmitted to you via PGP. It will sit in your Gmail inbox
PGP-encrypted. You can then
download it as you wish, and decrypt it on your local system.

Not to mention, since it is in your inbox encrypted, it doesn't matter
if your email vendor decides to turn over your emails to any
government agencies when requested.

Of course, that doesn't prevent the agencies from bringing you in and
leaning on you for the keys.  I've seen truly paranoid people keep
keys / data stores in hidden truecrypt volumes to add another layer.
It just depends on the threat model.

Then again, a lot of information can be derived by who emails who, and
what the "flow of the conversation" is.  None of these solutions
prevent your recipients from forwarding the emails on clear text
either.