Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: newbie question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:24:30 -0700

  I think GMail uses SSL (https://....) by default; it certainly
supports it.  If you can connect directly to Google, that's probably
good enough.

  However, more and more enterprises -- and some countries! -- are
installing firewalls that are SSL proxies.  If this includes you,
then SSL traffic is decrypted (and potentially read...) and re-encrypted
at the proxy.
  You can probably avoid that by using a VPN, but to do that, you need
access to a VPN server out beyond the perimeter....

David Gillett