Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: No NetBios share + No Open Port = Safe Win98?

From: "Frynge Customer Support" <frynge () frynge com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:23:33 -0600

GMX said
Erm what ? As far as i know, no private firewall is able to stand
against a strong DDOS, and corporate firewalls are only able to
mitigate it, not more.
Having a nice firewall set up will not save no one from a serious
ddos, maybe just from some attepts of unexperienced scriptkiddies...

FRYNGE:

I never said it protects you from getting DDOSed. The firewall protects you from getting used in a DDOS attack. Port 139 is commonly used by viruses and trojans as "sleeper DDOS attackers" or ghost attackers. Some type of linked trojan is installed, (sometimes from downloading software or visiting certain sites OR through file sharing) and once installed your computer becomes a sleeper. When the hacker is ready, your computer is used to DDOS attack other websites through the port 139.

Sorry if I wasnt clear.

The firewall is used so that hackers cannot see the computer in the first place to hack it through port 139. When the firewall is up, even if the trojan is installed, it will warn you, that your sending out packets.

Kelly Sigethy
Frynge.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "gmx" <pal_adam () gmx net>