Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: No NetBios share + No Open Port = Safe Win98?

From: "Frynge Customer Support" <frynge () frynge com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:11:13 -0600

I dont know if anyone has replied to this yet, but here is some advice.

The port 139 exploit was usually used for file and printer sharing hacks. Having that port open will allow someone to see your computer online with programs that will check for file and printer sharing vulnerabilities and also, possibly use your computer for DDOS attacks or flood your computer via that port.

I would make sure file and printer sharing is not on (you may not have set it on, but sometimes its on by default and with no password)

YOU SAID "I used winipcfg.exe to obtain my IP address (192.168.1.101) "

It tells me you are on an internal network and that is not your real ip address but an internal address. You will have another ip that is your real ip address, you can find this by googling it and looking for online ip finders.

For DDOS and flood attacks make sure you have a nice firewall set up and you should be fine.

Win98 closed that port in later additions and service packs, so you may want to update your windows at windows update if you can.

Kelly Sigethy
Frynge.com

----- Original Message ----- From: <gohyongkwang () hotmail com>