Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: No NetBios share + No Open Port = Safe Win98?

From: dave <dave.m () email it>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:45:38 +0200

  | Theoretically, I've not enabled port forwarding in my router/modem,
  | and so external computer trying to ping or connect to my computer
  | should not succeed, and if there's no port listening at all (except for
  | port 139), no other computer should be able to infilitrate right?

  The infiltrations happen mostly thanks the applicative level.

  So it's not so important _only_ if you have a port open or not.

  In this case an introuder, obliged to attack only that port,
  should exploit first the router.

  But the most obviuos way is to overwrite network traffic so
  that a target executable you download would act as RAT.

  So all security mesures are not so much effective meanwhile
  you don't know exactly how a binary you download will interact
  with the whole system.

--
Upper reality >oftware.
Dave - Skp Core.

 --

 Sponsor:
 Acquista i tuoi gioielli in tutta sicurezza ed a prezzi veramente imbattibili. Sfoglia il nostro catalogo on-line!