Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security Search Engine

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 08:28:39 -0700

Hello Dathan,

Thanks for the feedback. I realize that filtering sites will require a
lot of work, but I think in the end it will be beneficial for all.

Note: I am looking for few other people to help me filtering out the
website, and updating the index. Please let me know if anyone is
interested. As always please keep sending your favorite URLs. I have
tons of URLs in my email box, and I will catch up with them (and reply
to the sender) over the weekend :)

Here are my current guidelines for site inclusion

1) I will NOT include any vendor site (e.g. Cisco, Microsoft, Bluecoat etc)
2) I will check the Netcraft ranking for each suggested URL that I receive.
The site has to rank in <50K to be included in the index. (e.g.
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.securityfocus.com)
3) I will also make sure that the site doesn't excessive amount of Ads. For
e.g. I will not include  http://www.securitynewsportal.com/index.shtml

As far the inclusion of vendor sites in concerned, I think if one is
searching for some specific information (e.g. install guide) for a
particular product they should probably go to the vendor website or
google it.

However if you researching about a technology, lets says IDS, you
really don't need to see the vendor sites. They will, offcourse, say
that their product is the best in the world. For e.g. search for "Full
Disk Encryption" on Google, and you will see that DriveCrypt and
WinMagic show up in the first 3 results. And they both claim to be
"best in the world" :) And I have tried both, and they are not the
best (to say the least)! ;-) Instead I would like to see what other
sites are saying about these products or "full disk encryption" in
general

I have received several emails supporting the decision to leaves the
vendor's websites out of the index. :-)

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
http://www.full-disk-encryption.net