Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security Search Engine

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:42:27 +1000

Hi Saqib,
Couple of thoughts came up
1. excellent idea
2. When you say 'exclude vendor specific' I can see this includes open
source sites/tools/communities? Eg snort/wireshark I guess they're not
really vendors but are still 'competing?' 'co-opeting?'(if there is such a
word).

3. Independent info isn't always 'good' info-I'm thinking along the lines of
amazon's 'reviews' and also I remember a site by a guy named 'Black Viper'
who had a comprehensive list of windows services that could be tuned
according to 'some testing' he had done on his sytem. As far as I could tell
lots of people took his advice at face value and not many people checked out
his methods. I suppose the usual disclaimers apply.
4. Is it just coincidence that securityfocus comes up at the top so often;-)
and are they a vendor-associated site(I know, they have plenty of disclosure
about who they're owned by and I use the place every day and place a fair
amount of trust in what I read there.)
5. also, 'news articles' can often be beat ups for products too(not sure if
they're included-will check in a moment)-I'm trying to think of a specific
example but it's too early in the morning.