Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: One computer two different networks

From: "Hagen, Eric" <hagene () DenverNewspaperAgency com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:41:27 -0600

My immediate thought is.... TWO computers.

You have a private network with no Internet for the reason that you do not want the data on that network or on those
PCs accessable to an attacker.

If the PCs are on the Internet using a second network card in each computer, they are just as vulnerable as any normal
computer, therefore, your network is just as vulnerable as any normal network.

If the Internet is routed directly over this network, you can secure it via NAT and Firewalls, and this seems to me to
be your best bet, but there are always attack vectors that can be used when a computer is on a public network.

If your private network is truely "high-security", you cannot connect anything on it to a public network.  Period.  For
example, the storage of TOP SECRET data according to DoD cannot be stored on a comptuer that has any sort of access to
public networks.  It has to be PHYSICALLY isolated from those networks.

So exactly how "high-security" is your network and exactly how much security can you compromise by adding Internet
traffic to the mix?

Eric