Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: preventing run-as option

From: "Clinton E. Troutman" <clint.troutman () sbcglobal net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 00:50:20 -0500

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 12:48, Lariviere, Stephen wrote:
I tend to like system enforced policy vs. verbal (threats). The question
was how is it disabled, not 'what do you think of our poor security
practices'; however; obviously, that is the underlying issue but it
still doesn't address the security posture that is allowing the access.

I understood what was asked. I also understand this list is "security
basics" and that it is not necessarily the case the OP understands he/she
is asking how to treat a symptom and not how to treat the disease.

OK, so the OP disables runas. That solves nothing. A user simply has to take
the extra steps to logout of their credentials and login using the forged
credentials. They can still do what they wanted to do and have the added
benefit, if they didn't already know it, that they now can access anything
related to those forged credentials.
Hmmm, has the situation been made better??

By treating the disease (the real security problem of traded credentials),
the OP solves an entire range of security issues he/she may not have yet
even realized are present...
--
Clinton E. Troutman