Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: One computer two different networks

From: "evb" <swiver () cox net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:18:34 -0700

The NSA had a problem very similar to the one posed in the initial email of
this thread.  Formerly, the NSA's attempt to solve the problem was done by
having multiple computers at their desks.  Deciding this was a wasteful and
cumbersome attempt, they turned to vmware.  I believe the NSA is now using a
VMWare-developed product called NetTop.  According to one story I read:

"NetTop may solve a growing problem in many agencies: Government employees
having multiple computers in their work areas, each for a different security
environment. Multiple workstations for each employee clutter the desk and
are unnecessarily costly; yet merging separate environments into one machine
jeopardizes security, because there is no proven mechanism to prevent an
application in a less secure area from tapping into the more secure one,
Bugnion said.

"To solve this problem, NetTop facilitates multiple sessions on a single
computer, establishing virtual "vaults" for each session. Users can have
separate virtual computers on one machine and even access them
simultaneously, but NetTop controls what data, if any, can be moved from one
session to another.

Do a search for 'NSA' and 'VMWare' and you will find plenty.  (I don't have
any financial or other interest in posting this article.)

Eric