Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: One computer two different networks

From: davidthomastuck () aol com
Date: 12 Oct 2006 09:37:36 -0000

The Datagate concept is very simple (no "snake oil" just basic information security).  It's aim is to protect the
confidentiality of data held on a system.
Importing data from a system with a low classification(e.g. RESTRICTED) to one that is more highly classified (e.g.
SECRET)is allowed.  Exporting data from high to low is only permitted where it can be GUARANTEED that the data are
classified no highre than the low system (e.g. export of data from SECRET system to RESTRICTED system is permitted ONLY
if there is some means of ensuring the data are no higher than RESTRICTED) this is VERY difficult to achieve with any
realistic degree of confidence unless every data element is marked with its classification.
The Tenix Datagate uses 2 servers, a low server connected to the lower classified system and a high server connected to
the more highly classified system.  The 2 servers are connected by an opto-isolator that permits information to pass
from the low server to the high but not from high to low.  This allows the high level system to import data from the
low level system but totally prevents any data export.
Unfortunately, since data can flow in only one direction is useless as a port for browsing the internet.
For more data suggest google on "Tenix" or "Tenix DataGate"
Incidentally, I don't work for Tenix but I do work in information security.