Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: files containing web llinks

From: "Jeffrey F. Bloss" <jbloss () tampabay rr com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:14:07 -0500

mr.nasty () ix netcom com wrote:

Let me be a bit more specific here. I'm examining a hard drive with a
lot of porn mpg's. I trying to avoid any problems so I view the
directories using an explorer type viewer which allows me to see a
thumbnail image of the file. The problem is that when the viewer hits
that file to open a thumbnail the file opens web pages like crazy.

If images are opening web pages then I'd have to say there's something
terribly wrong. Either you're looking at some sort of link to those
images which is being intercepted, and you're falling victim to some
sort of web trickery, or your image viewer and/or machine is badly
broken and/or horribly compromised.

I've tried to look at the meta data of the file and there is nothing
there that I can see that looks like a web page. I've tried to open
the file with whatever associated application and it too opens a
whole bunch of web pages.

I'm trying to figure out when you encounter a file like this with a
*.mpg or *.avi or *.mov type extension how can you turn off or remove
the 'open a web page' thingy?

There shouldn't be anything to "turn off". It shouldn't happen unless
you're using something specifically designed to make it happen like
some porn peddler's nasty piece of buggered up dross. Not saying it
doesn't exist, but I'm not aware of any mainstream viewer which allows
graphics files and porn trailers to open cascades of web pages. It's
just not "natural". ;)

--
Hand crafted on 22 November, 2006 at 13:03:35 EST using
only the finest domestic and imported ASCII.

I'd like to meet the guy who invented beer, and
see what he's working on now.