Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: files containing web llinks

From: "Laundrup, Jens" <Jens.Laundrup () METROKC GOV>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:48:15 -0800

You could set up your machine using wireshark to record what comes from
the net and use the Sysinternals program called Filemon.  Then access
the files that causes your problems.  The moment the problem has
occurred once, you can stop the recording (usually a good idea or you
will get a giant log file) and shut down the offending programs.  This
will give you a good idea as to what is going on with your machine.  If
you have dual monitors, consider opening up a Process Exp[lorer window
(also from Sysinternals) and keep an eye on the processes that are
ongoing.  If you double click the processes on the Process explorer, it
will give you the option of suspending or killing processes and it will
give you a great deal of detail as to what the process is doing and
touching.

I think you have a bug.  Consider purchasing a copy of VMWare 5.0 and
installing it on your computer for just such occasions.  Then when an OS
is corrupted by files you are uploading/downloading/opening, you delete
it and build a new VM instance with that OS.  It beats having to rebuild
your production machine on a regular basis.

Cheers,

Jens