Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How safe is a VPN connexion from within an internal network?

From: "Jeffrey F. Bloss" <jbloss () tampabay rr com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:56:46 -0500

David Jacoby wrote:

There are a few solutions for this, ive seen some VPN clients that
disconnects the client machine from the Internet once the VPN
connection is established, this will prevent the attacker to keep his
connection because the client machine only allows connection to be
sent to the remote network via the VPN client, no other connections
are allowed.

Just out of idle curiosity, how would one "disconnect the client from
the Internet" when it's typically the Internet that's being used to
establish the VPN tunnel? :)

I suppose a piece of software could go to great lengths trying to
prevent any and all connections that weren't VPN, but this would be a
daunting task even if we weren't adding to the mix a condition like
being compromised. Even without that I just don't see this alleged
disconnection as being all that comforting, and a cracker mucking
around in your machine for a few minutes might turn it into one of
those (false sense of) security nightmares.

--
Hand crafted on 22 November, 2006 at 12:46:49 EST using
only the finest domestic and imported ASCII.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you
are crunchy and good with ketchup.