Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to stop Admins from sniffing ?

From: Dereck Martin <dmartin () mixxerinc com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:55:30 -0400

It is the responsibility of the IT Administrators to monitor all data being
transmitted wthin the company network and stored on company equipment.  If they
wanted to they could install key loggers on the machines because it is company
property not personal.  All end users must remember that the computers they use
at work are company property.  This means they have complete and total access to
do what they want with them and the data being transitted by them or stored on them.

The same policy goes for personal laptops used on the network.  They may not be
able to monitor the data stored on a personal laptop, but they are allowed to
monitor data transmitted on their network by the laptop.

If you are trying to hide stuff from the admins, then that is a different story.
 You can encrypt stuff, and try to communicate accross secure connections.
However, that will only make the admins more curious about what is being done.

Dereck Martin
Desktop Support
Office: 317-472-9771
Cell: 812-374-2727

www.mixxer.com
                    _/
   _/_/_/  _/_/        _/    _/  _/    _/    _/_/    _/  _/_/
  _/    _/    _/  _/    _/_/      _/_/    _/_/_/_/  _/_/
 _/    _/    _/  _/  _/    _/  _/    _/  _/        _/
_/    _/    _/  _/  _/    _/  _/    _/    _/_/_/  _/

swap_tek () yahoo co uk wrote:
Hey List

I work in a small organisation and the system and network administrators here are constantly monitoring all data in
the network. I have seen them running Etherreal on their systems and from their talks i am sure that they know who is
doing what. I m using windows XP and i have a personal firewall installed which pop's up every few minutes saying
that there is a port scan attack going on. And when i looked up that IP address it belongs to tbe system being used
by the administrator. I have tried talking to my bosses about this but not happened ( maybe the admins convinced them
that they are not doing anything like that or its happening by bosses permisson).  i know since they are in same
network as me its easy for them to sniff all traffic and everything.

What i want to know from you ppl is that is there is anyway way to stop this ? is it possible for me to encrypt all
traffic going out from my system ?
I have never used a Anti-Sniffer but can they help ? any way out ?

Thanks in advance
Jeff

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence
in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree,
without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus